Saturday, April 22, 2006

Invisible Children

As a few of you know, I've been involved with children-centric organizations for a couple years now. Most of my personal focus has been India, but recently, I've come in contact with a group of guys that are trying to raise awareness about an almost unrecognized war in Africa. I also discovered that someone I know taught in the middle of this war zone for a few years in the 90's, so there is confirmation that the information I've been given is not inflated for emotional appeal.

I know, I know...it's Africa. Most of us think they should change it to Warfrica or something. However, this has reached a point that is untenable to any human being. Why? The people are tired of fighting, but are unable to stop the war without help.

The rebel group has decided that since they can't get regular recruits easily, they will abduct and brutally indoctrinate small children instead. In essence, they are building an army of killer pre-adolescents. To date, over 50,000 are thought to have been abducted, but they have no way of knowing as the records are poorly kept, if kept at all.

Kids all over Northern Uganda are walking 5 to 10 miles every day from their homes to the major towns and sleeping on the streets, in hospitals, and in subway stations -- anywhere there's a government military presence -- to avoid abduction, torture, murder, brainwashing, and being forced to fight in a civil war. It's a horrific situation that is almost impossible to believe.

The problem is virtually unknown in the US and hasn't gained much global recognition, so we're doing a little something to raise awareness and get the world looking at something that's gone way beyond the typical African civil war. Not only are we showing the documentary on Tuesday night, there is a "Global Night Commute" going on next Saturday night. News crews will be there, so the more people, the bigger the impact. It's an all night event and there will be about 6 miles of walking involved (total). Follow the links for more info!

Anyway! Tuesday Night, 6pm, at Angies Subs, they are playing the documentary. If you do nothing else, it's worth seeing and it's free. I've already seen it, it's good and it will open your eyes.

Thanks!

This is the opening flier for Saturday. Anyone interested should sign up and contact me for details. (:

8 comments:

ANONYMOUS said...

How did this event go btw? Was there a decent turn out?

Tracy said...

I like the slumber party idea...

Unknown said...

The thing at Angies was about 50 people. The main thing is tomorrow night, but about 320 have signed up so far with a bunch more expected to not sign up until we're actually on-site.

T: Yeah, slumber party in that park near the Burrito Gallery. Here's hoping it doesn't rain. haha

Tracy said...

new blog J???
NEW BLOG!!!
We want a new blog!

Maki said...

I think the people are all in agreement. I technically should have taken you off the blog list since it's been over a month since you last posted... Don't make me do it, Jeremy. Don't make me do it.

Tracy said...

HELLO!!!!

JEREMY!!!!!

*I* am the busiest girl in the WORLD... yet I make time for my blogs...

Tracy said...

Don't make me take away your chocolate privils!!!

Tracy said...

THAT'S IT!!!!!

No chocolate for YOU!